Niche clothing markets keep N Brown ahead of the game
Fashionable underwear and dresses for plus-size thirtysomething women have helped the catalogue business N Brown report a surprise profit.
Despite turmoil on the high street and shoppers cutting back, N Brown's online lingerie business Figleaves posted its first ever profit.
The Manchester-based home shopping group posted a 2.5 per cent rise in profit to £96.9m in the year to 3 March, ahead of analysts' forecast of £94.5m and up on last year's £94.5m.
Its plus size brands Simply Be, Jacamo and Marisota reported strong growth and it has been opening stores for the Simply Be brand to "test a multi-channel offer".
Alan White, the chief executive, said this multi-channel strategy and its focus on niche customers such as tall men at its High & Mighty brand and larger women with Simply Be helped it "overcome the challenging macro-economic conditions".
It launched a US website for Simply Be in 2010, and sales there rose from £800,000 to £4.8m.
For the year the group's revenue rose 4.8 per cent to £753.2m, and like-for-like sales were up 0.6 per cent in the eight weeks to 28 April.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
iJobs Money & Business
£1000 per month: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ban...
£35000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: You must ...
£60000 - £80000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A top, City ba...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED : Reach Volunteering: Fantastic opportuni...