Odey swoops for 10 million 'rock bottom' bank shares
Friday 06 July 2012
The star hedge-fund manager Crispin Odey picked up another 10 million Barclays shares when they hit rock bottom on Tuesday after Bob Diamond's resignation.
"It's the cheapest bank in the world," said Mr Odey, who paid around 160p a share to add to the £60m of Barclays shares which his fund already owns.
Mr Odey, who has already made one fortune betting on Barclays during the early part of 2009, is married to Nichola Pease, a member of one of the families which founded Barclays and sister-in-law of the bank's former chief executive, John Varley.
He also won handsomely shorting shares of former building societies which had to be bailed out, such as Bradford & Bingley. But he never shorted Northern Rock because his wife was on its board.
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£600 - £700 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Investment Accounting Change...
£450 - £650 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£350 - £400 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Analyst, ALM Data, Halifax, ...
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Java developer - Banking - London - Up to £600/d...