Ofgem hands British Gas £1m fine
Saturday 02 July 2011
British Gas has been fined £1m after it miscalculated how much of the electricity that it supplies to its business customers had come from renewable sources.
The company will also have to repay more than £2.8m in rewards to the Government because it did not come as close to meeting its renewable energy targets as it previously claimed.
The energy regulator Ofgem said that British Gas Business would have received a "much higher" penalty had it not reported the error itself and co-operated with the investigation.
The error, which went unchecked for seven years before it was reported in May, was caused by British Gas Business's incorrect interpretation of the reporting requirements and insufficient procedures, Ofgem said.
- 1 Enrique Iglesias injured trying to catch a drone mid concert
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, reveals new look on Annie Leibovitz shot Vanity Fair cover
- 3 Arsenal players boo chief-executive Ivan Gazidis after being told they would not get bonus for FA Cup triumph
- 4 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 5 UK weather: Temperatures set to soar making parts of Britain hotter than parts of the Mediterranean
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Why this year's general election was the most unfair in Britain's history
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They win lots of awards for the...
£13500 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This nationwide enforcement com...
£25 - £30K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a highly-motivated and ambitious Comm...
£30 - 35k: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pricing Analyst to join a leading e-...