Ofgem staff receive £1m in bonuses
Staff at the energy watchdog Ofgem have been handed more than £1m in bonuses in the past two years, while millions of consumers struggle with the rising cost of bills.
The average cash bonus trousered by workers at Ofgem in 2010 and 2011 was more than the average energy bill. The regulator is supposed to police the "Big Six" gas and electricity firms and stop them profiteering from hard-up families.
But an answer to a parliamentary question from Labour's shadow Energy Secretary, Caroline Flint, has revealed that Ofgem workers have been raking in huge rewards while overseeing devastating rises in fuel costs.
In 2010, the average payout per person was £2,267. The official figures reveal a total of £602,969 was handed out to 266 Ofgem staff two years ago. In 2011, 346 workers shared £515,047, at an average of £1,489.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A position has arisen within th...
£50000 - £63000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / D...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Applicants must hold a valid SIA Door Su...
£50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Services - The C...