Premier Inns earn extra £2m from Games
Wednesday 24 October 2012
Whitbread's Premier Inns earned an extra £2m from the Olympics as the hotel chain pegged prices at £199 a room.
The 630-hotel chain had 100 per cent occupancy in London during the Games, although only 15 per cent of Premier Inns' revenues come from the capital. Like-for-like sales rose 3.7 per cent in the six months to 30 August, and its coffee chain Costa, boosted by wet weather, saw sales up 6.8 per cent.
It chief executive, Andy Harrison said: "Some of our competitors were charging £400 a room, but we didn't want to leave customers with a bad taste in their mouth."
Pre-tax profits, up 10.6 per cent to £193m, beat City hopes but its shares slipped 18p to 2,305p as it cautioned that its growth is set to slow as consumers feel squeezed.
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...
£27 - 35k + Bonus + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Management Accountant is needed ...
£40-50k + Benefits.: Guru Careers: A Project Manager / Business Analyst is nee...