Price-cutting hits profits at H&M
Hennes & Mauritz has blamed poor weather and cash-strapped shoppers for a 4 per cent fall in sales in the first six months of the year.
A chilly spring across Europe saw clothes left on the racks, forcing the Swedish fashion giant, which has more than 2,900 stores in 49 countries, to cut prices to lure shoppers. That, plus the impact of currency movements, saw post-tax profit fall 11 per cent to Skr4.7m (£470,000) in the second quarter.
But H&M said June was going well – sales are up 14 per cent so far, partly thanks to more shoppers snapping up outfits from its new spin-off store & Other Stories. Its upmarket chain Cos was also enjoying a "very good performance," said the world's second-biggest clothes seller after Inditex, the owner of Zara.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Housing double whammy: A whole generation ‘won’t be able to buy or rent a home’
'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£45000 - £70000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Impl...
£65000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Rogue Trading ...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading, Cit...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Data Analyst -...