Profits jump at Richemont beats expectations
Tuesday 23 April 2013
Richemont, the owner of the website Net-a-Porter and jewellery brands Cartier and Jaeger-LeCoultre, has allayed fears of a slowdown in the luxury goods sector with full-year net profits up 30 per cent, well above expectations.
But the Swiss-based group, which also owns the designer brand Chloé and Alfred Dunhill, said the figures were boosted by favourable currency exchange rates, such as the dollar's strength against the euro.
The jump in profit was ahead of the 25 per cent that analysts had forecast. The unscheduled statement, ahead of its full-year results on 16 May, revealed that underlying sales were up 14 per cent.
Richemont is exposed to the luxury watch sector, where there are concerns that the industry is starting to suffer. The French brand Hermès said on Monday that its watch sales were hit by a fall in demand in China.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
iJobs Money & Business
£13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Pension Specialist was established ...
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Technical Report Writer is re...
Competitive salary & benefits!: MBDA UK Ltd: MBDA UK LTD Indirect Procurement...