Rank and Gala end bid talks
Friday 30 March 2012
Rank Group has ditched its £250m bid for Gala Coral's casino business after nearly three months of talks.
By adding the 24 casinos owned by debt-laden Gala Coral to the 35 already run by Rank, the deal would have created the biggest casino operator in the UK.
Ian Burke, Rank's chairman and chief executive, said the terms did not deliver value for the group's shareholders. He said: "We will now concentrate on delivering our organic growth plans, including 12 more casinos by 2015."
James Hollins, an analyst at Investec, said the decision is a "minor disappointment" but added Rank was "right to walk away".
Gala, which is owned by private equity also blamed the price for the breakdown in talks, which were initially sparked by a bid from Rank.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading professiona...