RBS 'set to agree £350m payment for Libor scandal'
Monday 17 December 2012
Taxpayer-backed Royal Bank of Scotland is close to agreeing a £350m settlement with US and UK regulators over the Libor-fixing scandal, according to reports. This dwarfs the £290m penalty for Barclays in June. The furore cost then-chief executive Bob Diamond his job.
The latest blow for the industry's battered reputation was HSBC's $1.9bn (£1.2bn) fine for unwittingly laundering cash for Mexican drug cartels. Swiss bank UBS's Japanese arm is also said to be facing a $1.6bn fine this week for rigging interest rates in Tokyo. RBS declined to comment.
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
iJobs Money & Business
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company was established in...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE 40k: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 busi...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 ...
Voluntary and unpaid, reasonable expenses reimbursable: Reach Volunteering: St...