Recovery is in sight, says Sir Mervyn King
Friday 15 March 2013
Sir Mervyn King, the outgoing Governor of the Bank of England, yesterday struck an upbeat tone on economic prospects this year, despite the UK flirting with an unprecedented triple-dip recession.
In a rare interview, Sir Mervyn – who steps down in June – stressed that the economy's underlying performance was far healthier than official figures suggested.
His comments come just days after a shock January 1.5 per cent slump for Britain's manufacturers put the UK perilously close to a triple-dip, after the economy shrank 0.3 per cent between October and December.
He told ITV News: "A reasonable judgement based on where we are today is that recovery is in sight. If you just take away for the moment what happened in North Sea oil production and in construction the UK economy even last year grew by 1.5 per cent. There is momentum behind the recovery that is coming and I think that during the course of 2013 we will see that recovery come into sight."
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...