Richard Desmond considering sale of Channel 5 for £1bn
Richard Desmond has called in Barclays bank to advise on the sale Big Brother broadcaster Channel 5 in a deal the media mogul hopes could raise as much as £1 billion.
Desmond, who also the Daily Express and Daily Star, bought the TV station for £103.5 million in 2010.
Deals with shows such as Big Brother have helped the channel turn an operating profit of £20.6 million in the first half of 2013, compared with a £16.1 million loss a year earlier.
Its share of UK viewers remains about 4 per cent, according to official ratings, but Northern & Shell, Desmond’s TV and newspaper firm, said Channel 5’s commercial share of TV revenues is 6.2 per cent.
Northern & Shell, Desmond’s TV and newspaper firm, said: “We are often the subject of speculation, but it remains our policy not to comment on these matters.”
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
iJobs Money & Business
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£221.25 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a well established Inter...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Client Relationship Manager - SQL...
£35000 - £50000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Take your chance to join the...