Rolls-Royce cuts defence jobs
Nearly 400 jobs will be lost at Rolls-Royce's plant in Ansty, near Coventry, as the aerospace giant seeks to reduce costs in response to government spending cuts.
The plant employs 800 to repair and refit engines for planes and boats, of which 378 are to be made redundant.
A Rolls-Royce spokesman said he hoped the company can avoid compulsory redundancies and is in consultation with trade unions.
Ian Waddell, an officer at the Unite union, said: "The underlying reason for the job losses is the Government's defence spending cuts."
The site is also a base for civil aerospace business which is not expected to be affected.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
iJobs Money & Business
£50000 - £65000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Market Data SM...
£50000 - £70000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£70000 - £85000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: An award win...