Royal & Sun sets the seal on South African insurer
Wednesday 21 January 2004
Royal & SunAlliance sold its stake in a South African insurer for £100m yesterday to its rival Old Mutual, another shareholder in the company.
The sale of RSA's 37 per cent stake in Mutual & Federal represents a £20m profit for the troubled insurance company, which had to raise nearly £1bn last year to plug holes in its reserves. It has been disposing of assets for some time, shedding up to 12,000 jobs world-wide and shrinking the amount of business it writes to conserve capital.
Old Mutual said buying the stake would not dent its much-vaunted ambitions to expand in the UK. Shares in Old Mutual ended up 2.25p at 97p. "This deal does not have any impact on our internationalisation strategy," Julian Roberts, the company's finance director, said.
The company, which is listed in the UK and owns a fund management business here, has been scouring the UK market for a deal to bump up its assets. It is keen to buy a closed life insurance business and run off the funds on a cheap administration basis in South Africa. It has spent some time looking at the Britannic Group, which closed to new business last year. It is also thought to have considered HHG, the demerged arm of the Australian financial services giant HHG.
RSA has a block of life insurance funds that it closed to new business in 2002. These are also up for sale, but it is not thought that Old Mutual is, as yet, involved in the bidding for them. The RSA life funds are riddled with guarantees, which are the subject of discussions with the Financial Services Authority and are reliant on a web of loans from the parent company.
"The proceeds from the sale of Mutual Federal will be used to support the further growth of Royal & SunAlliance's core general insurance business, which is its primary strategic focus," a spokesman for the company said. He said that Old Mutual's approach for Mutual & Federal had been an opportunistic offer that RSA could not turn down for its shareholders. Old Mutual has paid for the stake in sterling. RSA shares ended down 1.25p at 97.25p.
The purchase takes Old Mutual's stake in Mutual & Federal up to 88 per cent. It will buy out the remaining 12 per cent and delist the company.
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Thought you'd seen it all after the Jeremy Paxman interview?
Argentinian scored 'rabona' wonder goal for Tottenham in Europa League – see it here
Far-right organisation has defended its actions on Facebook
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Isis releases first video showing the stoning of woman accused of committing adultery as her father shouts 'don't call me Dad'
FCKH8: YouTube reinstates provocative anti-sexism video showing young girls swearing
Diwali: What is the festival of lights – and how is it celebrated around the world?
Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
iJobs Money & Business
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...
Competitive (DOE): Guru Careers: A COO / Chief Operating Officer is needed to ...
£350 - £360 per day: Ashdown Group: SQL Developer with T-SQL, Watford, Hertfor...
120-150k: Accountancy Action: We are looking for an experienced CFO from a min...