Sales fall at Carphone Warehouse
Saturday 28 July 2012
Carphone Warehouse yesterday blamed the "lack of attractively priced smartphone products" at the cheap end of the mobile market for hurting sales.
The retail group said the pre-pay market – where consumers pay as they go, rather than receive a monthly bill – continued to be "weak".
Like-for-like sales at its subsidiary, Carphone Europe, fell by 2 per cent to £776m in the three months to June.
Chief executive Roger Taylor said he was hopeful Carphone could turn round the performance in the second half of the year.
Some of the features in high-end smartphones are starting to "cascade" down to lower-priced models.
Carphone said an example would be the sub-£100 Windows Nokia Lumia phone, which it recently started selling.
Sales at Carphone's other smaller business, Virgin Mobile France, did better, with sales up 13 per cent to €122m (£95.6m), thanks in part to having more post-pay contract customers.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, George Osborne told
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...