Sales fall brings more woe to Mothercare
Mothercare has posted another set of dire, domestic trading figures as it pushes ahead with its store closures programme in Britain.
The baby product retailer's UK underlying sales tumbled by 6.7 per cent over the 15 weeks to 14 July. But overseas revenues jumped 11 per cent, driven by its rapid expansion to 1,053 stores in countries from Saudi Arabia to India.
Mothercare shut 16 domestic stores in the quarter as part of plans to close 111, leaving it with 200 shops in the UK by March 2015.
Simon Calver, chief executive of Mothercare, said the improved functionality of its new web platform had seen online sales grow over the last five weeks after a fall last year.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
iJobs Money & Business
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...