Sarkozy says...Banks must end big payouts
Margareta Pagano is a former business editor of the Independent on Sunday who now writes columns and business interviews for a range of publications, including the Independent, Independent on Sunday and London Evening Standard.
Sunday 30 October 2011
French President Nicolas Sarkozy has told French banks they must stop paying big bonuses and dividends.
In an interview on French TV after the eurozone agreement last week, Mr Sarkozy said the country's most senior bankers would be called in for talks over the coming days with the Bank of France governor, Christian Noyer, to discuss curbing bonuses and salaries, and dividends to shareholders. "It is time to think more about clients, less about shareholders," he declared. He added that "past practices will stop as of next April", which is when bonuses and dividends are paid. The clampdown follows the decision to recapitalise French banks in the wake of Europe's sovereign debt crisis.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...