Scotbet for sale as bookies suffer
Sunday 13 February 2011
Scotbet, Scotland's biggest independent bookmaker, has been put up for sale.
Accountant KPMG has been hired to arrange the sale of the 74-shop chain. Scotbet's chief executive, Kenny Waugh, and its finance director, Richard Spanner, were not available to comment, but the business is thought to have struggled in the recent downturn.
Scotbet is part of Mr Waugh's Festival Group, which saw its pubs and hotels business lose nearly £6.5m in the two years to July 2009.
Scotbet is not the only bookie to have been hit by the downturn. The industry is worried that the Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, will approve an increase next week in the horseracing levy that betting shops pay from around £65m to as much as£150m. Will Roseff, the chairman of the Bookmakers' Committee, believes the increase could result in 400 betting shops closing.
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Langley James : IT Support; Helpdesk, VMware; Manch...
£35000 - £450000 per annum + £3k car, £70k ote: h2 Recruit Ltd: Do you want to...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus Ltd: Prestigious financial institution seeks to...
£Negotiable: Citifocus Ltd: Experienced operational risk professional with ban...