Sports Direct acquires Republic assets
Sports Direct has added to its growing fashion stable by acquiring the fashion retailer Republic's 114 stores and its brands, safeguarding more than 2,000 jobs.
The UK's biggest sportswear group, which is controlled by Newcastle United's owner Mike Ashley, also bagged the Firetrap and Full Circle brands last year to beef up its clothing offer.
Founded in 1986, Republic had 120 stores when it collapsed into administration earlier this month. Its finances had deteriorated since it was acquired by the US private equity firm TPG for £300m in April 2010.
Sports Direct is on track to deliver underlying profits of £270m this year and has acquired several fashion brands recently.
The 400-store retailer bought loss-making Flannels in 2012 and the troubled fashion retailers Cruise and USC the previous year.
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...