Sports Direct staff 'are sitting on shares worth more than £50,000'
Sports Direct has hailed its share bonus scheme an "absolute game changer", as it confirmed that thousands of staff are sitting on shares worth more than £50,000.
The sportswear market leader, controlled by its deputy executive chairman Mike Ashley, who owns Newcastle United football club, delivered a 12 per cent leap in underlying profits to £235.7m for the year to 29 April.
This was the third year running it had smashed earnings targets set under its share bonus scheme for staff that started in 2009.
Under the first part of the scheme, 2000 staff will be able to cash in 5000 shares worth nearly £15,000 in August.
In addition, employees have also been handed 12,000 shares, valued at just under £36,000, based on yesterday's share price of 295p.
Dave Forsey, chief executive, said: "I think it has been an absolute game changer since it was introduced," referring to the scheme's impact on staff retention and service in stores.
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£50000 - £667000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / ...
£13000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Scotland's leading life insuran...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manag...