Stelios' fastJet sets date for Africa take-off
Wednesday 04 July 2012
FastJet, the new budget African airline brand that easyJet founder Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou is trying to get off the ground, has chosen Airbus A319 aircraft and says it could be flying passengers by October.
The airline came about after a reverse takeover, finalised last month, in which infrastructure group Lonrho put its existing African aviation business — focusing on Kenya, Ghana and Tanzania — into AIM-listed cash shell Rubicon. Sir Stelios took a 5 per cent stake.
FastJet said yesterday that it will lease at least five Airbus A319 in the next six months and up to 15 within a year. Rubicon's chief executive Ed Winter, who previously worked at British Airways' budget offshoot Go, said: "The decision to launch with the Airbus A319 enables us to expand rapidly [with] passenger numbers doubling from current levels within six months."
Africa's aviation industry is valued at an annual $56bn (£35.7bn) but is known for a poor safety record and unreliability.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
iJobs Money & Business
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
Not specified: Selby Jennings: Quantitative Research | Global Equity | New Yor...
Not specified: Selby Jennings: SVP Model Validation This top tiered investment...
Highly Competitive: Selby Jennings: Our client, a leading European Oil trading...