Stockbroker sidesteps bonuses with 'retention payments'
Friday 23 December 2011
The stockbroker Daniel Stewarthas come up with a novel alternative to the City bonus. It now pays its 57 staff, from receptionist to chief executive, a monthly "retentionpayment" equivalent to whattheir bonus for the year would be.
"In the old days people gottheir annual cash bonus and then jumped ship," Peter Shea, its chief executive, said. "This waythey're more likely to stay,and if they go, we stop paying out."
The first-half retention payment of £361,000 contributed to a pre-tax loss of £606,000 in the six months to September, against a profit of £190,000 a year ago. Revenues were up from £3.3mto £3.6m.
Mr Shea expects the Hong Kong group Jade Investments to add to the 3.8 per cent stake it bought in Stewart this week.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 ...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40000: SThree: As a Recruitment Consultant, y...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
Up to £80000: Saxton Leigh: My client, a large commodities broker, is looking ...