Stockbroker sidesteps bonuses with 'retention payments'
Friday 23 December 2011
The stockbroker Daniel Stewarthas come up with a novel alternative to the City bonus. It now pays its 57 staff, from receptionist to chief executive, a monthly "retentionpayment" equivalent to whattheir bonus for the year would be.
"In the old days people gottheir annual cash bonus and then jumped ship," Peter Shea, its chief executive, said. "This waythey're more likely to stay,and if they go, we stop paying out."
The first-half retention payment of £361,000 contributed to a pre-tax loss of £606,000 in the six months to September, against a profit of £190,000 a year ago. Revenues were up from £3.3mto £3.6m.
Mr Shea expects the Hong Kong group Jade Investments to add to the 3.8 per cent stake it bought in Stewart this week.
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...