Tata plant closure hits steel output
Monday 24 January 2011
Britain's like-for-like steel production shot up by almost a quarter last year, but still remains significantly below pre-recession levels after the closure of Tata Steel's Teesside Cast Products (TCP) plant.
Britain produced 9.4 million tons of steel in 2010, compared with 7.5 million tons in 2009, as steel-makers responded to global economic recovery-boosted demand, according to the latest figures published today by UK Steel, a division of the EEF manufacturers' organisation.
But the buoyant like-for-like statistics are adjusted to discount the closure of the TCP plant last February. If the factory is included in the comparative numbers, the 2010 production comes in a shattering 36 per cent lower than the previous year.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
iJobs Money & Business
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...