That takes the pip! Apple brand forces name change at cider store
People calling with an iPod problem were told to have a nice cider to get over it
Thursday 14 February 2013
A cider store owner has been forced to change the name of his business - after The Apple Shop was inundated by callers asking for phone and computer repairs.
Geoff Fisher has sold cider and juice from the shop at Wroxham Barns in Norfolk since 1993.
But since the opening of the Apple Store in Norwich four years ago he has received an increasing number of calls from iPhone and iPad owners.
He said: "People would call up and say they had a problem with their iPod and I told them to chuck it away and have a nice cider to get over it."
His number is next to the Apple Store in the phone book and, because it has a local prefix, he believes customers prefer to ring him rather than the technology giant.
He estimates that he receives up to 24 calls a week.
In one call, an elderly man contacted him to say he had "been silly and bought his first computer", an Apple Mac, at the age of 87.
Mr Fisher agreed he had been silly and told him: "Give it to your grandchildren".
From Easter, the shop will be renamed The Norfolk Cider Company to coincide with a refurbishment.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
iJobs Money & Business
£1000 per month: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ban...
£35000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: You must ...
£60000 - £80000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A top, City ba...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED : Reach Volunteering: Fantastic opportuni...