Thorntons fails to tempt cautious consumers
Thursday 06 October 2011
Thorntons failed to lure cash-strapped consumers with chocolate treats in the 14 weeks to the start of October, with total sales declining by 7.6 per cent to £46.5m. Sales at the chocolatier's own stores were down by 10.1 per cent to £23.4m. Franchise sales eased by 6.4 per cent, while sales at the company's commercial division, which sells chocolates to supermarkets, were down 4.9 per cent.
"The retail environment continues to be challenging with weakness in high street footfall," said Thorntons chief executive Jonathan Hart. "Our consumers remain cost conscious and continue to select promoted products."
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...