Top designer turns hand to new hotel
Monday 12 March 2012
The leading London designer Tom Dixon is set to create his first ever hotel – he has been hired by the upmarket American group Morgans Hotel for their Mondrian on the south bank of the Thames.
Morgan's was due to unveil plans for the 360-bed hotel in the former Sea Containers House building this morning.
The redevelopment of the former office block into the hotel, restaurants and new offices is due to be finished in 2014.
Dixon, who was behind the design of Shoreditch House and is a former head of design at Habitat, has been hired by the group for the first Mondrian hotel in Europe. Morgan's, founded by the boutique hotel guru Ian Schrager, runs the Royalton and Hudson in New York and the Sanderson in London.
Morgan's will invest £9m into the hotel as part of the redevelopment of the 652,000 square foot building close to the Oxo Tower on the south side of the Thames.
The property company Archlane owns the site and before Christmas secured a £120m refinancing for the development.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
iJobs Money & Business
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...
£320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...