UBS chief gives up bonus after London 'fraud'
Wednesday 08 February 2012
Carsten Kengeter, head of investment banking at UBS, has given up his bonus for last year after the Swiss bank lost more than $2bn (£1.3bn) following alleged fraud by the London trader Kweku Adoboli.
Mr Kengeter was paid Sfr8.5m (£5.8m) in bonuses in 2010 as part of his total Sfr9.3m pay package.
Meanwhile, UBS sent a chill wind through the City yesterday as its investment banking arm lost money for the second quarter running, and warned there was no sign of any improvement so far this year. At least one analyst said it amounted to a first-quarter profit warning. Fourth-quarter profits plunged by 76 per cent to Sfr393m as the investment bank made a loss of Sfr256m against a profit of Sfr100m a year ago. For the full 2011 year, profits dropped from Sfr7.5bn to Sfr4.2bn.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, George Osborne told
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...