UK faces stagnation in 2012, says NIESR
Friday 04 May 2012
The UK economy is set for virtual stagnation in 2012 after four years of "unprecedented" weakness, a leading forecaster has warned.
The report from the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) came amid signs of slowing momentum from services firms, which account for more than three-quarters of the economy.
NIESR is braced for "close to zero" growth, another jump in unemployment to 9 per cent – almost 3 million – and far higher than expected borrowing. The forecaster is pencilling in public borrowing of £120.6bn next year.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: PHP Symfony2 Framewor...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A leading pr...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Market Data An...