UK's biggest pawnbroker shines in gloom
Wednesday 16 February 2011
Albemarle & Bond reported soaring demand for its pawnbroking and gold buying business yesterday as it attracts new customers looking to free up cash in the economic gloom.
Albemarle, which is Britain's biggest pawnbroker with 148 stores, including the Cheque and Pawn and Herbert Brown brands, said the value of items in its pledge book rose by 32 per cent in the final six months of 2010. Its gold buying and selling business, which operates an additional 38 small shops, handled double the value of goods compared to a year ago.
Although revenues rose 24 per cent to £48.8m in the half-year, profits were down 1 per cent to £11m after it paid to open 16 shops and 23 gold buying outlets.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...