Union hits out at Barclays job cuts
Friday 26 August 2011
Union leaders described news of a further 140 banking job losses as "appalling" yesterday, saying there was now a "drip-feed" of cuts.
Unite attacked Barclays over the loss of posts in its corporate department, complaining the announcement had come soon after 500 job cuts.
"The news that the Barclays corporate function is to cut 140 staff just two months after 500 people lost their jobs is appalling. Unite finds this drip-feeding of job cuts unacceptable," Unite's David Fleming said. Unite said the main areas affected by the cuts were Birmingham, London, Poole and Reading.
A Barclays spokesman said: "As has been previously announced, as part of the One Barclays strategy, we are taking measures to increase efficiency by combining some back-office functions, removing duplication and reducing costs."
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...