Virgin lands VAT windfall of £80m
Wednesday 08 June 2011
Virgin Media has secured an £81.5m refund from the taxman after drawn out negotiations over its Value Added Tax payments.
The group released a statement yesterday saying it had reached an agreement with HM Revenue & Customs "over certain VAT matters".
The two parties eventually agreed the refund, which will be spread out over the next eight years, after disputing how the company's operations should be taxed for over a year.
Virgin reported more good news yesterday, saying it was able to slash its "contingent liability" – the sum set aside for VAT payments it considered "reasonably possible we would have to pay", according to one company insider – from £74.6m to £23.6m.
Rival Sky and set-top box maker Pace last month won a legal dispute against HMRC in a battle over import duties on the boxes.
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...