Viridor set to see prices fall
Friday 25 November 2011
Pennon warned that lower landfill volumes and slipping waste material prices could hurt its waste management business, wiping the gloss off a rise in its half-year profits.
The utility's Viridor, which provides recycling and waste collection services, brings in a third of total group profit. Landfill disposal volumes for the first half fell 9 per cent to 1.7 million tonnes, hurt by the shutdown of a landfill site and a weak economy.
Colin Drummond, Viridor's chief executive, said the prices at which waste paper and recovered metals are sold are likely to drop off their recent historical highs in the second half.
First-half pre-tax profits at the South West Water owner increased by 12 per cent to £107m, on revenues up 8.3 per cent at £643m.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 ...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40000: SThree: As a Recruitment Consultant, y...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
Up to £80000: Saxton Leigh: My client, a large commodities broker, is looking ...