Vodafone suffers Indian setback
Tuesday 16 November 2010
India's top court has ordered Vodafone to deposit 25m rupees (£344m) within three weeks over a £1.5bn tax dispute. The British telecoms giant has also been told to make bank guarantees worth 85bn rupees within eight weeks.
The company appealed to the Supreme Court in Delhi after a lower court ruled that Indian tax authorities had jurisdiction in cross-border deals. Vodafone is fighting a tax bill in India related to its 2007 acquisition of Hutchison Whampoa's Indian operations.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Autumn Statement 2013: Work until you’re 70 - George Osborne accused of ‘living in fantasy land’ over pension reforms
Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
Paul Walker autopsy: Results reveal Fast and Furious star's cause of death
Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
UK weather: Two dead and 100,000 homes without power as 100mph storm batters Scotland – now biggest tidal surge in 60 years threatens east coast
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
iJobs Money & Business
£75000 - £85000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: An award win...
£90000 - £120000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Global Director of Infrastructur...
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Associate Dire...
£Negotiable: Citifocus: High calibre individual with a strong understanding o...