Wallace and Gromit fail to lift Haynes
Friday 26 August 2011
A top-selling guide to the inventions of Wallace and Gromit failed to stop motor manual maker Haynes Publishing from posting a fall in annual sales.
The Cracking Contraptions manual, which gives the lowdown on the workings of the pair's motorcycle and sidecar and other inventions, was one of Haynes' two best-selling titles in the year to May.
The other was a manual about Star Trek's USS Enterprise. Haynes is best known for its step-by-step guides on car maintenance, but now prints books on subjects ranging from history to health.
Group sales fell by 2 per cent to £33.8m, while pre-tax profits were flat at £7.2m. Haynes' chief executive, Eric Oakley, said: "With the price of petrol, incomes are somewhat depressed. The money that used to be in people's pockets is now in their gas tanks."
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
competitive: SThree: Are you passionate about sales?Do you have a keen interes...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...