Walter in $3.3bn bid for Western
Friday 19 November 2010
US group Walter Energy is in talks to buy Western Coal Corp, its Canadian peer and AIM's largest company, for $3.3bn in a bid to cash in on growing Asian demand for coal.
Walter will pay C$11.5 per share in cash and stock, offering nearly 56 per cent more than Western Coal's closing price on Wednesday. It has agreed to buy around 20 per cent of Western Coal shares from the company's biggest shareholder, the London-based hedge fund Audley Capital.
News of the deal comes against the backdrop of surging demand for coal from emerging markets such as China and India. Chinese steel production, for example, is forecast to rise to as much as 630 million tonnes this year, feeding demand for metallurgical coal, Western's primary offering.
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager - Marke...
£13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Pension Specialist was established ...
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...