Water hike adds to bills misery
Households in England and Wales will see water bills increase by an average of 3.5 per cent this year, while rates in London, the South-west and South-east soar by more than double the rate of inflation.
Figures from the water industry regulator Ofwat show that customers served by Thames Water, which supplies 14 million homes in London and the Thames Valley, face the sharpest rises. The company is to raise bills by 5.5 per cent, putting average bills at £343.
Customers cannot choose their supplier so Ofwat tells firms how much they can raise prices. Its decision means that households across England and Wales will see average bills hit £388 this year.
The news, on top of a wave of energy price rises, means households now face spending a record £1,740 a year on water, sewerage and energy combined, according to the comparison website uSwitch.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...