WH Smith bets on travel to ease its high street woes
Friday 08 July 2011
WH Smith posted another fall in sales yesterday, but the magazine and stationery retailer said the pace of declines had eased. It added that its profit margins had improved as a result of cost-cutting.
The group expressed confidence in its full-year results as it posted a 1 per cent decline in total sales for the first 18 weeks of its second half, to 2 July. Like-for-like sales were down 4 per cent against a year ago, an improvement on the 21 weeks to 22 January, when they were down by 5 per cent.
Yesterday's update also showed that sales at the company's travel stores at airports and stations were up by 2 per cent, with the like-for-like figure down by a similar amount. The high street business saw a 3 per cent decline in sales, with the like-for-like figure down by 4 per cent in the 18 months to the beginning of July.
The performances marked an improvement from the retailer's last update. Recent months had seen further "gross margin expansion", the company said, adding that at its new store-opening programme was continuing to make progress. It also said that its cost savings were on target.
But WH Smith was careful to acknowledge the tough retail backdrop, saying: "The economic environment remains uncertain and while we continue to be cautious about consumer spending, we remain confident in the outcome for the full year."
The message was welcomed in the City, with Panmure Gordon's analyst Philip Dorgan saying that WH Smith's shares deserved to trade at a "substantial premium to the sector". The positive assessment was echoed by Kate Calvert at Seymour Pierce, who highlighted the company's "strong management team", led by its chief executive, Kate Swann.
New UK station Russia Today gives a very bizarre view of Britain
By performing as African Americans or Indians, white people get to play act a kind of 'imaginary liberation', writes Michael Mark Cohen
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site this morning
Top Gear presenter is no stranger to foot-in-mouth controversy
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
Halloween 2014: From the Screaming Man of Pluckley to the 'White Lady' of the Tower of London - Britain's 20 most haunted places
Russian politician says Apple CEO Tim Cook should be 'banned' from country after coming out as gay
Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
iJobs Money & Business
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: SThree, International Recruitme...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...
£20000 - £23250 Per Annum pro rata: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pro rata ...
£40 - 48k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Manager to join...