What recession? New bookshop tells a different story
Opening a shop? In this market? Selling books for a minimum of £3,000?
That's just what Karl Fowler, the former Goldman Sachs banker and brains behind publisher Kraken Opus, is doing. The first Kraken Opus shop opened yesterday at 10-13 King Street, Covent Garden, to sell the 35kg, 50cm square books that are the most luxurious texts since monks stopped making illuminated manuscripts. Opus has books on Sir Bobby Charlton, Diego Maradona and Vivienne Westwood. They sell for between £3,000 and £20,000 depending on the signatures of the stars that are included, while a Manchester United book fetched $1.6m (£1m) at a recent auction in Dubai.
Mr Fowler, who plans to open another 12 shops from New York to Abu Dhabi, says that despite the economic downturn, demand for his books is huge. He will be inviting his celebrity subjects to the stores to take part in Q&A sessions for chosen guests.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...