Winston expands with BHP deal
Harry Winston, the luxury jeweller with outlets in Harrods and in Bond Street, is expanding the mining side of its business after paying BHP Billiton $500m (£315m) for a controlling stake in a Canadian diamond mine.
The deal will see the Canadian jeweller, named after its late founder, buying BHP's 80 per cent stake in Ekati, Canada's oldest diamond mine, in a transaction that will mark the FTSE 100 miner's exit from the diamond industry.
The acquisition of Ekati, in Canada's Northwest Territories, will bulk up Harry Winston's presence in mining as the group, like other jewellery makers, seeks to secure access to gems.
The company, whose founder recognised a two-carat emerald in a pawn shop and sold it two days later for $800 when he was 12 years old, owns a 40 per cent stake in the Diavik mine, also in the Northwest Territories, in a joint venture with Rio Tinto.
Harry Winston fought off competition from suitors such as De Beers and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, the US buyout firm.
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
iJobs Money & Business
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...
£20 - 24k + Benefits: Guru Careers: This is a great opportunity for an enthusi...
£280 - £320 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...