Wolseley mulls French options
Wednesday 18 July 2012
Wolseley, the FTSE 100-listed building giant behind Plumb Center, is exploring "strategic options" for its business in France, with an outright sale thought to be the preferred option.
Alternatively, the world's largest supplier of plumbing materials may look to retain a smaller presence in the country by selling only part of its French assets or by hiving the business off into a joint venture.
Wolseley's Réseau Pro chain represents most of its business in France, where the group is the second-largest distributor of building materials. However, with only about 7 per cent of the French market, it trails far behind the industry leader Saint-Gobain, which accounts for about a quarter.
Wolseley referred to continuing "difficult market conditions" on the Continent but its relatively small share of the French market is also thought to be a factor, contributing to a profit margin there which is about half the group's average.
"Wolseley's strategy is to focus on businesses where it can establish leading positions in attractive markets and consistently generate good returns for shareholders," a company spokesman said.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Charles Saatchi: Taking caution for holding Nigella Lawson's throat was 'better than it hanging over all of us'
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...