Xstrata cuts projects over 'Henry' tax
Friday 04 June 2010
Xstrata has shelved A$586m (£336m) of investment in two mines in Queensland, blaming Australia's controversial "Henry" supertax on mining profits.
As he postponed the coal and copper projects yesterday, the chief executive Mick Davis said the 40 per cent tax on profits would create "significant uncertainty for the future of mining investment in Australia" and would "impair the value of previously-approved projects".
The Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, has dismissed as "bunkum"claims that miners will be driven out of Australia, but Xstrata is not the only one to shelve schemes. Last month, Fortescue Metals put A$15bn of projects on hold.
Returning to the stage after 20 years makes actress feel 'nauseous'
Top conservatoire offers ‘groundbreaking’ arts degree
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West halts concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Islamic State: Pope is 'being targeted by Isis', Iraqi ambassador to the Holy See warns
Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton nude pictures exhibition cancelled after artist concedes photos were 'stolen property'
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Richard III: Two years after his body was found scientists discover how he died
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000 first year: SThree: The SThree group i...
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...
£20 - 24k + Benefits: Guru Careers: This is a great opportunity for an enthusi...
£280 - £320 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...