Yield on key Spanish bond surpasses 6.5 per cent
Yields on Spanish 10-year bonds have risen past 6.5 per cent on the secondary market.
They stood at 6.52 per cent early today after closing at 6.4 per cent the previous day. The rate is now 4.73 percentage points above the equivalent German bond yield.
Investors were keenly awaiting a Treasury auction of up to 4 billion euros in 10-year bonds, with interest rates expected to be high.
Spain's chapter of the European debt crisis has engulfed the campaign for general elections, due Sunday.
Oppostion conservatives are expected to score a landslide win over the ruling Socialists, saddled with an economy that has 21.5 unemployment and posted zero growth in the third quarter. The forecast for next year is just as gloomy.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...