Next stop London: Thomas heads for the stock market
Monday 09 September 1996
This dwarfs the money made out of Thomas by his creator, the Rev Wilbert Awdry, and his family.
His son, Christopher Awdry, last year rejected suggestions the family had made as much as pounds 7m from Thomas and estimated the total at less than pounds 4m.
Founded by husband and wife team Britt Allcroft and Angus Wright, the Britt Allcroft group bought world-wide video, TV and character licensing rights to Thomas from the publishers, Kaye & Ward, in the early 1980s. The two founders will keep their combined stake of about half the company. Other Britt Allcroft shareholders include the merchant bank Guinness Mahon and Ringo Starr, the former Beatle, whose voice was featured in the TV series.
Britt Allcroft plans to raise pounds 5m of equity in the flotation to finance international expansion of Thomas and its other brands. In the year to June, the group made a pre-tax profit of pounds 2m on turnover of pounds 11.5m.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...