Wednesday 19 February 1997
The deal forced Doubletree Hotels to withdraw from the fray, saying the price was too high.
The combined group will operate or franchise more than 1,300 hotels around the world including nearly 200 outside the US. JW Marriott, chairman of Marriott International, said the deal provided a dramatic increase in rooms and market position for Marriott. "With the addition of these brands we immediately reach customers in 40 new markets including Russia, China, Japan and India. It more than doubles our presence outside the US."
Marriott plans to open more hotels under the New World name in the Asia- Pacific region. The Renaissance brand will be expanded in America.
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...