Olivetti agrees sale of personal computers
Tuesday 21 January 1997
The loss-making business is going to Piedmont International, a company established for the purpose by Edward Gottesman, a US lawyer based in London whose other interests include Raleigh bicycles and the Fila sports shoe group. The final sale price will be agreed before the end of February, with Olivetti retaining a 10 per cent stake in the new company.
Plans to sell the PC operation were announced last October as part of a programme to raise around L800bn to cut debt and restructure the company. With L450bn raised from the recent sale of an 8 per cent stake in Omnitel, one of Italy's mobile telephone groups, the latest disposal means that target has almost been reached.
Olivetti's shares, suspended in Milan yesterday ahead of the announcement, have been rallying from new lows.
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...