Outlook: Compaq is in expansive mood
Tuesday 27 January 1998
Compaq first bought Tandem. Now its buying Digital, placing it at number two in the pecking order - two years ahead of schedule as well. Outstanding Mr Pfeiffer, absolutely outstanding. Oh, wait a minute. We get it. You thought Mr Pfeiffer meant that Compaq was going to get there all under its own steam? Silly. That's not how the successful global corporation is built these days. Actually, it's all about acquiring and closing down large parts of the competition.
So what's the next? Mr Pfeiffer was in expansive and ebullient mood yesterday. "We want to be the global PC provider feeding the entire spectrum right down to the end consumer." Mmmm. At least this has the merit of being meaningless, which is surely preferable to something like "number one by 2001". He would then have needed to bid for IBM and Hewlett Packard too.
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.