Outlook: Golden goodbye
Saturday 29 May 1999
Earlier this week Tony Hales quit Allied Domecq with a pay-off in the region of pounds 1m after a long period of underperformance capped by the sale of Allied's pub estate to Whitbread for a price that was hardly generous.
Now Keith Edelman is being shown the door at Storehouse after an equally bleak period of underperformance. In the last year the shares have lagged the market by nearly 60 per cent.
The most humiliating epitaph for any chief executive is to see the share price soar, as Storehouse's did yesterday, as he makes his exit. In Mr Edelman's case, the hurt will be soothed by a pounds 600,000 pay-off.
All this makes Nick Hodges at London International look like a saint. His pounds 1.1m pay-off following the takeover of LIG by Seton Scholl is almost as large as Mr Hodges himself. But at least he left his shareholders with a company that outperformed the market by a quarter since 1994.
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider in investment managemen...
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£30000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A global leader in trading platforms and e...