Outlook: US rates
Saturday 05 June 1999
The fact that it will be such a rare event makes the decision to tighten rates all the weightier for the Fed. Not only do investors truly, madly, deeply want to believe in the new paradigm of high growth, high productivity and low inflation in the US, but Mr Greenspan has also encouraged them to do so with his own musings on the subject. It is only in recent months that he has come out as a cautious believer himself.
But the old problems of macroeconomics appear to be gaining ground. The US trade deficit is at record levels, posing the threat of a sudden fall in the unsustainably strong dollar. Yesterday's figures show clearly that the tight jobs market is causing wage pressures. Earnings jumped, unemployment set a new low, and the smaller than expected rise in the employment total almost certainly reflected the shortage of people to employ rather than a shortage of demand for employees.
The market reaction was sanguine. Perhaps not for much longer, though. Higher US rates are round the corner, and by the summer the global economic landscape could look very different.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.