O&Y used Stanhope
The shares are worth slightly more than pounds 9.2m, a fragment of the pounds 137m O&Y paid when it bought its 32.6 per cent stake four years ago.
A 9.8 per cent stake in Stanhope's partner Rosehaugh, which, like O&Y, is in the hands of its bankers, is worth just pounds 700,000. The move will leave Stanhope feeling increasingly vulnerable to concerted action by its own bankers.
It has been discussing a restructuring of the group in the event that it falls foul of its banking covenants as a result of collapsing property values.
There is speculation that the banks involved in the rescue of Rosehaugh may prefer to see a portion of the company's interest payments rolled up into equity in its main asset, its half stake in the Broadgate complex in the City, which was developed jointly by Rosehaugh and Stanhope.
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Oklahoma tornado latest: Obama pledges support for 'as long as it takes' to rebuild the suburb of Moore
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£850 - £1000 per day: Orgtel: Programme Change Manager - Banking - London - £8...
£180 - £230 per day: Orgtel: Operations Analyst - Leading Bank in the City of ...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Busi...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...