Oyston declines sell-out
Piccadilly Radio is a subsidiary of Trans World, which is currently the subject of a bid from Emap, the publishing group.
The offer is believed to have been made around the time Mr Oyston first considered selling his stake to Emap at 181p a share, a move which triggered a pounds 70m takeover bid for the whole company. Next week, the Guardian Media Group, which owns 20 per cent of Trans World, goes to court to try to block the bid.
Sir Bob said: 'I was asked to ring Mr Oyston and say that, in the event of him not coming to terms with Emap, there were people who would be interested in buying his shares.
'It was quite clear there was nothing to be gained from the conversation,' he added. Mr Oyston is believed to have preferred the Emap offer, believing it was the best chance for him and other shareholders to exit from the company.
Some shareholders believe that Sir Bob was acting on behalf of certain Trans World directors who are doing all they can to scupper the Emap bid.
Sir Bob declined to comment on who he was acting for, saying that the call was private.
Radio in step, page 6
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£850 - £1000 per day: Orgtel: Programme Change Manager - Banking - London - £8...
£180 - £230 per day: Orgtel: Operations Analyst - Leading Bank in the City of ...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Busi...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...