Paints sale to net Williams pounds 250m
Williams had hoped to float its Robbialac European paints division earlier this year but abandoned the process due to a poor reception from investors.
Roger Carr, chief executive, said Williams was "happy to go it alone" after takeover talks with Tyco, the US conglomerate had broken down for a second time. But he admitted that he could not rule out a third approach from the US giant.
Stripping out disposals and acquisitions, Williams' half-year profits before tax were 6 per cent up at pounds 122m. Underlying profits in the services business were up by 8 per cent but down by 3 per cent in the products division
Mr Carr said the group had considered dropping the Williams name in favour of something that would emphasise the services side of the group and possibly boost the company's poor stock market rating. However, he said such a move was not currently on the agenda. "We will be making more of our Chubb and Yale brands but the Williams name has a strong following in the financial community," he said.
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£850 - £1000 per day: Orgtel: Programme Change Manager - Banking - London - £8...
£180 - £230 per day: Orgtel: Operations Analyst - Leading Bank in the City of ...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Busi...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...